Minimum Coverage for Auto Insurance in Georgia: 3 Things to Know

A lot can go wrong on the road. All it takes is one moment of inattention, one miscalculation, one road hazard or one mechanical malfunction. Even a good driver can get into a crash. That’s why every driver needs auto insurance. If you live in Georgia, these are the car insurance requirements.

Liability Coverage – Is Required by the State of Georgia

If you cause a crash, you will be responsible for the property damage and injuries suffered by others. To ensure that you are capable of paying, you must carry liability auto insurance. Like other states, Georgia has minimum requirements in three different categories:

·         $25,000 for bodily injury per person

·         $50,000 for bodily injury per occurrence

·         $25,000 for property damage

Keep in mind that the above amounts are the minimum requirements. You may want more. Imagine what would happen if you caused a crash involving two other expensive vehicles. The property damage could easily exceed $25,000. Likewise, given the high cost of medical care in the United States, bodily injury costs could easily exceed $25,000 per person or $50,000 per occurrence, especially if more than two people are involved.

If the damage exceeds your policy limits, you can be on the hook for the difference. For this reason, it can be smart to carry higher limits, especially if you have assets you want to protect.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – Is Good to Have

In an ideal world, every driver would have auto insurance, and uninsured motorist coverage wouldn’t be necessary. Unfortunately, many drivers go without insurance, even though this puts them at considerable risk for fines, license suspension and registration suspension.

According to estimates from 2015, approximately 12 percent of drivers in Georgia don’t have insurance. Because uninsured drivers generally don’t have much money, you will have a hard or impossible time recovering any damages if an uninsured driver hits your car.

This is why it’s smart to carry uninsured motorist coverage. Similarly, underinsured motorist coverage protects you in case the damages exceed the at-fault driver’s insurance limits.

Other Coverages – May be Required if You Have A Car Loan

The coverage types listed above do not cover your car for any damage you cause unintentionally, nor does it cover you for other types of losses. For that, you need additional coverage.

·         Collision insurance provides coverage for damage to your car resulting from an accident. These accidents may or may not involve another vehicle. For example, you could hit a tree.

·         Comprehensive insurance provides coverage for other types of damage. For example, if your car is stolen or vandalized, comprehensive coverage will cover you. Comprehensive coverage also provides protection against damage caused by fires, falling objects, weather-related events and animals. 

Although these coverage types are not required by state law, they may be required by a lender if you have a car loan. After all, you don’t want to have to owe money on a car that’s been destroyed.

If you have a loan on a new car, you may also need gap insurance. The value of your car depreciates quickly. If your car is stolen or suffers a total loss, the insurance payout may be less than what you owe. Gap insurance provides coverage for this difference.

Wondering if you have the right auto insurance coverage and the best price? Find out now. Get an online auto insurance quote.